Every Pregnant Woman Needs a Good Pair of Leggings
Women tend to have a love-hate relationship with leggings. We love to wear them because who doesn’t love to feel comfortable and unrestricted? But we hate the lack of pockets and the fact that it’s socially unacceptable to wear them in professional and social settings.
However, when you’re pregnant or recovering after having your baby, maternity leggings are generally the best option, both for comfort and convenience. For those days when your maternity jeans just aren’t cutting it, don’t assume that your only other option is to go with basic, black leggings. These days, there are more maternity leggings than ever before that will keep you both comfortable and stylish during pregnancy and after.
Types of maternity leggings
When shopping for pregnancy leggings, you'll be surprised at all the options.
- Over-the-bump maternity leggings: These maternity leggings feature a stretchy belly panel that's big enough to cover your entire bump. Many moms-to-be prefer this style in the third trimester, when they need a little extra support. Plus, it keeps the waste band from riding down.
- Under-the-bump maternity leggings: Maternity leggings without a belly panel are designed to sit under your bump. The waistband on under-the-bump leggings is stretchy enough to expand with your growing belly, but some women find they don’t fit as well.
- Non-maternity leggings: Some moms-to-be swear by certain brands of regular leggings that are comfortable enough to wear during pregnancy. If you go this route, it's a good idea to go up a size or two. Also, count your lucky stars you can still fit into regular leggings!
Regardless of the style you choose, your maternity leggings should be supportive, but never too tight or restricting. They should also be made of breathable fabric and have plenty of stretch to grow with your bump through the different stages of pregnancy.
We asked our readers and they agreed these are the best maternity leggings to keep you comfortable and supported for the next nine months (and beyond).
Best Under-Belly Maternity Leggings
These fan-favorites from Motherhood Maternity are an easy pick for a comfy, under-the-belly style. Moms-to-be like that they’re comprised of lightweight jersey cotton and offer enough support to stay up without being compressive. And since they come in a pack of two, this option offers a great bang for your buck!
Best Non-Maternity Leggings
These aren’t technically maternity leggings, but reviewers agree — they might as well be. Made from buttery soft yet moisture-wicking fabric, the high-rise cut of the Align Pant from Lululemon is a fan-favorite among pregnant and non-pregnant folks, alike.
But be forewarned. While very popular, a common complaint with these leggings is that they pill easily. Lululemon suggests air drying them as opposed to popping them into the dryer to prevent this side-effect.
Best Maternity Jeggings
Price: $29.98 - $49.98
We love the range of hues Motherhood Maternity offers for their denim leggings — and the price tag isn’t bad, either! The soft denim fabric is comfortable and machine washable (without fading), and the stretchy bump panel is made to grow with your ever-changing belly. All in all, this is an affordable, comfortable, and practical option that might suit you better than leggings. Plus, they can be dressed up!
SPANX Mama Ankle Jean-ish Seamless Maternity Leggings
While these pants come with a higher price tag, if you’re seeking a pair of darker, skinny jeans with a little more give, SPANX Jean-ish maternity jeggings might offer the aesthetic you desire. They include a high, over-the-bump panel and a 27 1/2-inch inseam intended to land at the ankle, which may not be ideal for shorter people.
While incredibly fashionable, these maternity leggings have gotten mixed reviews on how comfortable the fabric is. So if you’re envisioning extra-soft leggings, you may want to steer in a different direction.
Best Printed Maternity Leggings
If you’re looking to take a walk on the wild side, edgier moms love these cheetah print leggings from ASOS Design. Made with soft jersey cotton, they’re an over-the-bump style designed for comfort and a pop of pattern. Plus, a cheaper price tag makes these easy on the wallet.
Best Pleather Leggings
Preggo Leggings offers a range of printed and pleather maternity leggings for mamas looking to spice up their rotation. Their Rockstar Mamacita legging is a fun, faux-leather option for concerts, parties, and anytime you just want to feel like the badass mama you are. Don’t believe us? Check out the rave reviews from customers! They’re the perfect mix of over-the-bump support and style.
Best For Support
Pregnology Women’s Maternity Leggings Seamless over the Belly Compression with Pregnancy Support Stretch Band Breathable Summer Clothes for Pregnant Women
Looking for some additional support? Pregnology maternity leggings include supportive fabric for your lower back and full, over-the-belly support to help keep you comfortable through all three trimesters and during postpartum. Benefits include:
- SHAPING - Rock these fabulous, flattering leggings with all the belly support you need. Our leggings smooth your thighs and shape your butt, all while enhancing and contouring your body’s natural shape.
- EVERLASTING COMFORT - Highly versatile, our luxe-athletic fabric accommodates size changes from the first trimester through the postpartum period. Special SEAMLESS ELASTIC SMOOTH pouch easily expands to grow with your baby in utero.
- BUILD-IN FULL SUPPORT PANEL - A unique, stretchy support band expands with your growing belly, and can be folded under or pulled over for pregnancy support. When worn above your belly, the compression band stays in place, remaining snug against your tummy.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL - Designed with a lightweight, soft, breathable nylon/spandex blend. Moisture-wicking properties keep you dry and cool all day. Four-way stretch fabric promises maximum range of movement without riding or bunching up.
- ALL OCCASIONS - Pregnology maternity leggings are perfect for yoga, exercise, fitness, running, gym, dancing, jumping, riding, pilates, any type of workout. And of course, it’s perfect for a cozy day in.
Here are just a few things fans are saying about Pregnology Maternity Leggings:
Best Medical Compression Leggings
- BECOME A SUPER FAN - Our graduated compression hosiery is the most effective way to prevent edema or swelling. The graduated design means the strongest pressure starts at the ankles and decreases as it goes up the leg, providing ideal compression in all the right places. When you experience the benefits and comfort of Terramed Compression Stockings, you'll want to continue wearing them for years after. Say goodbye to painful swelling of the limbs.
- HEALTHY BENEFITS - The Terramed graduated compression thick maternity leggings assist your heart in circulating blood flow and oxygen throughout the body. Use our leggings throughout pregnancy to prevent blood from pooling in the veins and reduce the chances of an elevated heart rate in both mother and child. Wearing compression stockings also reduces the risk of varicose veins, phlebitis, and thrombosis while alleviating swollen feet and ankles or tired and achy legs.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Graduated Compression Legwear by Terramed is the most innovative compression hosiery available on the market. The unique design and high-quality materials of our medical compression stockings provide an unbeatable combination of comfort, affordability, and therapeutic effectiveness. This trendy maternity wear leggings will last 3x longer than traditional fashion hosiery, saving you money.
- SHAPE YOUR BODY AND YOUR STYLE with these fabulous, figure-flattering compression leggings. The microfiber black maternity leggings will be your best friend throughout your entire pregnancy. Pamper yourself with Terramed leggings, the best maternity pants for expectant moms. A special, soft, elastic pouch easily expands to accommodate size changes from the first trimester through the postpartum period. BUY RISK FREE TODAY!
Here are just a few things fans are saying about Terramed Maternity Compression Leggings: